QUITO & MANATEE AMAZON EXPLORER
7 days / 6 nights
This is a journey that takes us into the endless heart of biodiversity, the Amazon Basin. Given the remote and pristine nature of this jungle, the very best way to explore it is by navigating down the Napo River on a carefully - designed vessel set to explore the Amazon in style.
The M/V Manatee Amazon Explorer allows our guests to experience unparalleled adventures in total comfort. Journey with us down freshwater rivers, both whitewater and black water, and encounter different Amazonian ecosystems, including the possibility to observe fascinating animals such as pink river dolphins, manatees, caimans and piranhas, as well as hundreds of native bird and primate species.
Day 1: Arrival at Quito International Airport – Hotel
- Transfer from airport to the hotel.
Day 2: Middle of the World Monument – Colonial Quito
- Departing from the hotel early in the morning, we begin the tour driving to the north of the city to visit the Equatorial monument “Mitad del Mundo” (Middle of the World), situated at 0o0’0” latitude where the French Geodesic Expedition according to planet calculations, designated the center of the world. Visit the Intiñán Museum. After this visit, we will drive back to downtown Quito, making a stop at the Botanical Garden, a project for protection, conservancy and education for Andean flora of Ecuador.
- For lunch, we will have a typical delicious menu, and then we will go to visit the colonial site of Quito and its churches and cathedrals: the gothic Basilica, the Compañía de Jesús, the Convent of San Francisco, among others. We will visit the Plaza Grande where is located the Presidential Palace, the Major’s Office, the Cathedral, and the Archbishop Palace. Back to the hotel.
Meals included: breakfast, lunch
Day 3: Quito – Coca – Napo Rive (Fri)
- Departure from Quito, a short 30-minute flight takes us to the frontier town of Coca (Francisco de Orellana) – and transfer to the dock, where we will embark on a motorized canoe and navigate down river about 1 hour and a half, to board the M/V MANATEE AMAZON EXPLORER. Throughout the journey, we have a chance to admire the rainforest landscape and banks of the great Napo River. Immediately after boarding the M/V Manatee, we continue navigating downstream. Passengers will have their first opportunities to enjoy the exciting features of our cruise ship: the spacious social areas, comfortable suites, and an observation deck that offers spectacular views. An evening walk is organized after sunset; it gives us the opportunity to discover the forest’s nocturnal activity and listen to the incessant sounds of nature.
Day 4: Visiting the Pañacocha Biological Corridor (Sat)
- We will continue our navigation downstream to the Pañayacu River delta; take a canoe trip up the river to experience the sights of this fascinating reserve. We will seek out Pink River Dolphins, Common Squirrel Monkeys and much more. Pañacocha (Piranha Lake, in Quechua) is an ecosystem flooded by white waters. The rivers and lakes here are the perfect habitat for the infamous Piranha, as well as the Water Monkey Fish (Arawana) and White Caiman.
- After a refreshing swim (for the courageous!), we will enjoy a delicious Amazon-style BBQ meal and refreshing beverages at a nearby camping site. In the afternoon, we will head out on exploration trails, and return onboard for dinner.
Day 5: Parrots’ Clay Licks – Sani Warmi & Yasuní National Park (Sun)
- Breakfast on board. We set out to visit one of the most amazing spectacles this side of western Amazonia known as parrot licks, these unique pools of mud become rich in minerals and attract hundreds of parrots, parakeets and amazons every day. If weather permits, we will have a chance to marvel at this astonishing natural phenomenon. Later, we will visit the Sani Warmi Kichwa Interpretation Center, where a group of Kichwa women will speak of their customs, cuisine and everyday life. They have created the center in order to showcase their culture, and it is a unique opportunity to learn about Amazonian lifestyles along the Napo River. You will also have the opportunity to buy crafts, local products and souvenirs.
- After lunch, we will make a stop at the Yakukawsay Kichwa Interpretation Centre, and end with an interesting evening walk through the forest (depending on accessibility, river water levels and weather conditions).
Day 6: Return to Quito (Mon)
- In the morning, disembark the M/V Manatee and transfer by motorized canoe to Coca (1 hour and a half ride); flight to Quito. Accommodation at a hotel near the airport in Quito.
Day 7: Hotel – International Airport of Quito
- Transport from the hotel to the International Airport Mariscal Sucre of Quito. End of the tour.
NOTE: Please note the detailed itinerary specified above is an example of the vessel operation; due to technical and operational factors, Manatee Amazon Explorer reserves the right to change it without previous notice.