KAPAWI ECOLODGE & RESERVE
4 Days / 3 Nights (Friday – Monday)
Kapawi Ecolodge & Reserve is one of the most remote, ecologically responsible and cultural sensible Amazon Jungle Eco lodges in the world.
Your visit to this Amazon Jungle Lodge really contributes to sustainable socio - cultural communities and the protection of a unique natural environment.
It is a remote and pristine region, the Amazon rainforest, untouched by logging, mining or petroleum extraction. Come and be at ease, and learn about our way of life and appreciate the rich flora and fauna of our home. Share in our vision of protecting our lands for future generations and for the world. Experience the rustic elegance at one of the most remote lodges designed for travelers in the world.
Day 1: Quito – Shell – Kapawi Ecolodge
- Guests will be picked up from their hotel in Quito beginning at 6:00 am. Departing from Quito, guests will be driven along the new “Oriental” highway, passing through Tambillo, Latacunga, Ambato, Baños, before arriving in Shell. Breakfast will be provided for every passenger. Short stops will be made during the trip for bathroom breaks and photo opportunities.
- Once in Shell, guests will be welcomed by our Achuar representatives and will be assisted onto small planes. The 50-minute flight from Shell will pass over unbroken pristine rainforest, arriving at the airstrip of the local Achuar community.
- There you will be welcomed by Kapawi guides, who will escort you on the final leg of your journey, a beautiful 30-minute canoe ride into the majesty and tranquility of the rainforest.
- Lunch at Kapawi Ecolodge & Reserve. After lunch guests will have the opportunity to relax, unpack, and situate themselves with the surroundings.
- In the afternoon, we will have a quiet activity where guests can walk along one of the Pastaza River beaches. Here, our guides will give guests an introductory orientation session with information about the rainforest and the Achuar culture, while enjoying a beautiful sunset. Dinner.
- At night after dinner, we will explore the Kapawari River in search of nocturnal animals such as monkeys, alligators and birds. All this coupled with a fantastic starry sky Kapawi.
- Early morning, our guides will escort guests on a 30 minute motor boat ride to reach one of the best natural attractions, the Claylick, where guests will see different species of parrots and macaws, such as the Cobalt-Winged Parakeet, Chestnut- Fronted Macaw, and Yellow Crowned Amazon. After breakfast, guests can take a walk, approximately 2 hours with stops, where they will learn about medicinal plants of the area and tropical forest ecology.
- Lunch at Kapawi Ecolodge & Reserve. Time to rest. In the afternoon, guests will be able to explore, via kayak, the Kapawari River and its connecting lagoons, while looking at the local wildlife such as the pink river dolphin. As the river is quite calm, swimming is completely safe. After dinner, guests can partake in a spectacular night walk, observing the many different kinds of insects and amphibians that are found around the hotel.
- Early in the morning, guests will have the opportunity to find and spot the great variety of birds that the southeast Rainforest of Ecuador offers like Hoatzin, Aninga, Speckled Chachalaca, White Eared Jacamar, Cocoi Heron, Neotropical Cormorant, and the Great Egret. After breakfast, we will depart for a full day activities. Our guides will escort guests along the Pitzacocha or Pama trail. During this time, guests can learn about the forest and its benefits for the Achuar people. Our guides will also teach guests about Achuar hunting techniques and Arutam the spirit of the forest.
- Picnic lunch in the forest. After lunch, guests will visit one of the Achuar communities that is located close to the lodge. This is one of our most popular activities offered in Kapawi, because of the significant cultural contribution to the Achuar people. Guests will have a chance to see a community and its members and purchase some traditional handicrafts. Return to the lodge followed by dinner.
- After dinner: cultural activities (legends in hammock house, traditional greetings).
- Early in the morning, our guides will bring guests to specific points near the hotel, in order to locate various species of birds. Breakfast and preparation for departure. In the last few hours before departure from the Achuar territory, guests can participate in a blowgun contest to demonstrate who is the best hunter among the guides and guests. Guests will also be able to learn the art of Achuar face painting and how it relates to their different activities. Fly to Shell. Box Lunches will be provided.
- Return to Quito along the same route as the arrival.